Pasta with Broccolini, Preserved Lemon and Chickpeas – a punchy, bright pasta recipe that comes together quickly and easily – on the table in under 30 minutes! A tasty healthy weeknight dinner!
- 8 cups water
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 10–12 ounces broccolini, cut in half lengthwise ( or use regular broccoli see notes)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 fat shallot, finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo, Urfa Biber or regular chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sumac (optional)
- 1–2 tablespoons preserved lemon, chopped (or sub lemon zest from one lemon)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 cup reserved hot pasta water
- 1–2 tablespoons lemon juice (if not using preserved lemon)
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup pecorino or parmesan
- optional: additional 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot, bring 8 cups of water and 1 tablespoon salt (measure both) to boil. Add spaghetti and simmer until al dente. Add broccolini to the pasta water and cook 2-3 minutes, or until just tender and vibrant green. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
While the spaghetti is cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute shallots and garlic 3-4 minutes until fragrant and tender. Add chili flakes, sumac, preserved lemon ( or lemon zest), chickpeas if using, and salt and pepper. Saute 1-2 minutes, turn the heat off.
When the pasta and broccolini are done (save 1 cup pasta water) add it to the garlic shallot mixture in the skillet, over medium heat. Add 1 cup hot pasta water, and give a good toss. Taste. Add a squeeze of lemon juice if you like (especially if not using. the preserved lemons).
Toss in the fresh parsley and pecorino, taste again, and adjust salt, pepper and chili flakes. You want to taste the salt and lemon, both. 😉 For extra richness, mix in another little drizzle of olive oil – or a little butter (my husband LOVES it this way).
Divide among bowls and enjoy.
Leftovers reheat well and will keep 3-4 days in the fridge.
If using regular broccoli, allow a couple of extra minutes of cooking time ( florets and stems tend to be bigger).
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 570
- Sugar: 5.7 g
- Sodium: 805.9 mg
- Fat: 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 80.8 g
- Fiber: 9.7 g
- Protein: 20.8 g
- Cholesterol: 9.8 mg
Keywords: pasta with broccolini, broccoli pasta, broccolini pasta, pasta with broccolini and chickpeas,