Pad See Ew is a delicious Thai stir-fried noodle dish using wide rice noodles, Chinese broccoli, eggs, your choice of protein ( chicken, tofu, shrimp) and a flavorful sweet soy stir-fry sauce.
- 14– 16 ounces protein: crispy tofu, chicken, or shrimp
- 1 pound fresh flat wide rice noodles*, chow fun, or wide dry rice noodles
- 5 oz Chinese broccoli (or sub bok choy)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons peanut or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, about 4 cloves
- Lime wedges for serving, optional
Stir fry Sauce
- Cook the protein. Make this crispy tofu recipe, set it aside, or see notes for chicken or shrimp.
- Prep the noodles. Cut the wide sheet of fresh rice noodles into smaller 2×4 inches pieces. If the noodles have hardened, microwave for 2 minutes until soft, then carefully separate the pieces into thin small pieces as shown below. If using dry rice noodles, prepare according to package directions.
- Prep the Chinese Broccoli. Cut the stems of the Chinese broccoli, lengthwise into long, thin 2-3 inches pieces, and set aside. Leave the leafy parts about 4 inches long as they wilt quite a bit during the stir fry.
- Make stir-fry sauce: whisk the sauces, vinegar, sugar, and white pepper in a small bowl. Set aside until ready.
- Stir fry: Place everything by the stove. Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil. Once hot, add garlic and cook until brown, 20-30 seconds. Add the eggs and scramble lightly for 1-2 minutes. Add the rice noodles and lightly stir them in. Let it cook for 2 minutes, and don’t touch, letting them crisp a bit. Add only the stem parts of the Chinese broccoli, stir and cook for 2 minutes. Be careful not to break the soft noodles. Add the crispy tofu (or cooked shrimp or cooked chicken) and the leafy parts of the Chinese broccoli, and carefully stir into the noodles. Cook for 2 more minutes. (Add 1-2 tablespoons water to the wok if the noodles are sticking too much.)
- Pour in the stir-fry sauce, mix everything gently, and cook for 1 more minute. Do not overstep the Pad See Ew, as the noodles will break apart easily. Taste and adjust the seasoning here with more fish sauce, soy sauce, or sugar. Turn the heat off and serve warm.
- Chicken: thinly slice chicken breast, season lightly with salt and pepper, and stir fry in a little oil until cooked through. You can also steam the chicken in water for low-cal optional. Set aside.
- Shrimp: Season peeled shrimp with salt and pepper and stir fry until cooked through (tails will curl into “C”). Set aside.
- Rice Noodles. Use fresh, soft Chow fun wide rice noodles for the Pad See Ew recipe. If unable to find, use the widest noodles you can find. If using dried noodles, follow the instructions on the package to soak noodles until soft.
- Serving Size: With Crispy Tofu
- Calories: 416
- Sugar: 9.9 g
- Sodium: 1131.4 mg
- Fat: 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 44.5 g
- Fiber: 4.3 g
- Protein: 17.3 g
- Cholesterol: 93 mg
Keywords: Pad See Ew, how to make Pad See Ew, Pad See Ew recipe