Enhanced with fresh rosemary and orange zest this Olive Oil Cake is easy to make, has a lovely rustic texture and stays moist for days. Lightly sweetened, it is perfect for dessert, brunch or with afternoon tea.
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil *see notes
- 3/4 cup yogurt (buttermilk or regular whole milk, or nut milk will do)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/8 cup coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare 9-10″baking pan (springform or tart pan) with oil and parchment.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk together eggs, olive oil and yogurt. Add orange zest, and rosemary.
- Fold wet mixture gently into the dry ingredients. Pour into the baking pan and sprinkle coarse sugar evenly over the top. Bake 40-50 minutes. Internal temperature should be 200F.
An extra virgin pure olive oil with a light clean finish is best. No need to use the fanciest oil but you do want a descent quality. Kind of the same rule as with wine, you want to cook with something you like the flavor of and use for finishing touches, think dressings, drizzling on bread etc.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 385
- Sugar: 15.5 g
- Sodium: 121.2 mg
- Fat: 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 38.2 g
- Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 6.1 g
- Cholesterol: 56.4 mg
Keywords: olive oil cake, citrus olive oil cake, olive oil cake recipe,