Here’s how to make an Old Fashioned Cocktail- a simple American classic. This version substitutes orange zest for the traditional orange peel garnish and incorporates 2 simple syrups, elevating it to its fullest potential!
- 2 ounces bourbon (or rye) whiskey
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon simple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon honey simple syrup
- 1–2 dashes of Angostura bitters
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
Honey Simple Syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup hot water
- Make the simple syrups. Heat 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Whisk together 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup hot water in a heat-resistant mixing glass. Allow to cool.
- Combine: Add all ingredients to a mixing glass, stir until well-combined, then strain over a large chunk of ice placed into an 8-10 ounce “rocks” or “old fashioned” glass.
Keywords: old fashioned, old fashioned cocktail, classic old fashioned cocktail, how to make an old fashioned.