- 2 tablspoon olive oil ( or butter)
- 1 lbs scrubbed carrots- cut into 1/2 inch disks
- 1/2 a large onion- diced ( 1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves-smashed
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 4 cups chicken or veggie stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup yogurt or sour cream ( or vegan yogurt or sour cream)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley ( or sub more cilantro)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Zest from 1/2 lemon ( about 1 tsp)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes -or more for spicier
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a heavy bottom pot, saute onion, cumin seeds and smashed garlic in oil, on medium high heat until golden and tender, about 5-6 minutes, stirring often.
- Add carrots, chicken stock, salt, white pepper, bay leaves and bring to a vigorous simmer. Cover and simmer on med low heat for 20 minutes or until carrots are easily pierced with the tip of a knife. Let cool slightly.
- Make the Chermoula: Toast the spices in dry skillet over medium until fragrant and golden. Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined into a paste, but not too smooth. Set aside in a bowl.
- Blend the soup using an immersion blender or in small batches in a blender until silky smooth.
- Place back in the pot and stir in sour cream and maple syrup. Adjust salt and spice level. (Keeping in mind Chermoula will add a LOT of flavor.) Keep warm on low heat until serving.
- Divide among bowls, and add a spoonful of chermoula, swirling it in a circle. Add more yogurt or sour cream if you like.
Of course you can use ground spices instead of whole seeds, but the toasted whole seeds will add that extra level of flavor that will wow your taste buds.
The original recipe included a 1/4 of an apple, sliced (at the same time as the carrots) to add a bit of sweetness to the soup. Feel free to add if you like a sweeter soup, and you may not need the maple syrup.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 357
- Sugar: 10.8 g
- Sodium: 674.9 mg
- Fat: 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.2 g
- Fiber: 4.1 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
- Cholesterol: 5 mg
Keywords: carrot soup, north african carrot soup, carrot soup vegan, carrot soup curry, creamy carrot soup, chermoula, chermoula recipe, what is chermoula, the best carrot soup, easy carrot soup,