A Scandinavian twist on the classic Nicoise salad- Nordic Nicoise Salad with smoked fish ( salmon, trout, sardines) or Pickled Herring, with fresh spring veggies and horseradish spiked Nicoise dressing.
- 8 baby potatoes
- 1– 2 eggs (optional), boiled to your liking
- 1 cup snap peas
- 1 Turkish cucumbers (or use English)
- ½ small fennel bulb, shaved (optional)
- 4 radishes
- 1 bunch watercress
- 6 ounces smoked trout, smoked salmon, lox, pickled herring or smoked/cooked sardines (or sub cannellini beans or baked/smoked tofu for a vegetarian option)
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- Other optional additions: pickled red onions, fresh sprouts, chive blossoms, nasturtium petals, sliced avocado, blanched green beans or other veggies, a dollop of plain yogurt, toasted rye croutons, or rye crisp, crumbled.
Nordic Nicoise Dressing:
- Place the baby potatoes in a pot of water and boil, then simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Add the snap peas in the same water during the last minute to quickly blanch. Drain. Rinse under cold water.
- At the same time boil the eggs, either soft or hard – your preference. Peel and halve.
- While the eggs are boiling, stir the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl with a fork, tasting and adjusting.
- Prep the veggies. Using a veggie peeler, shave the cucumber into ribbons (or just slice into rounds)
- Slice the radishes, slice the fennel.
- Assemble the salads. Lay a bed of watercress on the bottom of two bowls. Top with cucumbers, radish, fennel, fish, eggs, pickled onions, capers and fresh dill. Scatter blossoms around the top. Feel the joy 😉
- Dress the salad right before serving.
- Add a dollop of yogurt for extra richness if you like…. and serve with rye crisp.
You may not need all the dressing. Dress as needed.
Keywords: Nicoise Salad, Nordic Nicoise Salad, Nicoise salad with smoked salmon, salmon Nicoise,