Luxurious and vibrant green, Nettle soup can be made with highly nutritious nettles or baby spinach. Keep it vegan and add a drizzle of truffle oil, or swirl in yogurt for extra richness. Add sautéed wild mushrooms to the top for a heartier version.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 fat shallot (or 1 leek, white parts), rough chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 1 pound white or yellow potatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 4 cups veggie or chicken stock
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- 2 ounces fresh nettle leaves (about 2 cups packed tight) or baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon
- 1 lemon
- sour cream or plain yogurt for swirling (optional)
- truffle oil (optional)
- 2 cups wild mushrooms, sautéed and seasoned with salt and pepper (optional)
- In a medium pot, sauté shallot and garlic in olive oil 3–4 minutes, over medium heat, until fragrant and golden. Add potatoes, stock, salt, and pepper and bring to a simmer, covered. Simmer until potatoes are very tender, about 10–15 minutes.
- When potatoes are tender, carefully add nettles ( using gloves or tongs) and stir, letting them wilt, about 1 minute. Do not boil. Turn off the heat and let the pot cool. The hot water will neutralize their sting.
- Once cooled, blend until very smooth. Add the fresh tarragon and a squeeze of lemon and blend again. Taste and adjust salt and lemon.
- Divide among bowls, top with a swirl of yogurt or sour cream. Sprinkle with fresh tarragon leaves or edible flower petals. Add a drizzle of truffle oil, if you like.
This soup is really good with sautéed wild mushrooms added to the top. Further elevate with a few drops of truffle oil.
- Serving Size: 1 ½ cups with yogurt swirl
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 2.7 g
- Sodium: 523.3 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.7 g
- Fiber: 5.6 g
- Protein: 6.5 g
- Cholesterol: 4.2 mg
Keywords: Nettle soup, nettle recipes, how to make nettle soup, nettle soup recipe, nettle soup recipes