A simple healthy vegan recipe for Mushroom Toast with Spinach, Garlic, Thyme and Lemon zest. Serve it as a meal with a hearty salad, or top it with an egg for breakfast. A great way to use up sourdough bread!
- 2–3 tablespoon olive oil (or sub with 1/2 butter or ghee)
- 8 ounces mushrooms – sliced or quartered (cremini, button, chanterelles, morels, shiitake, porcini, etc.)
- 4 garlic cloves- sliced, or rough chopped (not too small)
- 1 shallot – sliced
- generous, 5 finger pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme (or sage or rosemary)
- splash wine (white, sherry wine, red, rose, marsala)- like 2 tablespoons
- lemon zest of 1 small lemon
- 1– 2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 2 pieces of toasted sourdough bread
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots, garlic and mushrooms, add salt and pepper and saute, stirring until mushrooms release their liquid, lowering heat to medium-low- if necessary to prevent shallots from getting too dark.
- Cook-off all the mushroom liquid and let them get nice and golden and slightly crispy on the edges. Add the thyme, wine and lemon zest and cook off the wine, about 2 minutes.
- Toss in the spinach, letting it wilt, adding more if you like.
- Taste and adjust the salt and pepper according to your taste.
- If the mixture seems dry you could drizzle with a little more olive oil, which will nicely coat the toast.
- Pile it over warm sourdough toast.
- If using truffle oil, drizzle it now, or top with an optional poached egg or a little grated pecorino if you like.
- Serve with a salad and call it dinner.
My husband loves his Mushroom Toast with butter, so I’ll scoop my vegan mushrooms onto my toast and add butter to the pan with his mushrooms. Both happy. 🙂
You can always melt cheese on the toast first, for heartier eaters.
Keywords: mushroom toast, vegan mushroom toast, mushroom toast with garlic, mushroom toast with spinach