This Moo Shu tofu is loaded with tender-crisp vegetables and crispy tofu all tucked into a tortilla or rice pancake for a delicious vegan meal. Served with tangy hoisin sauce.
The Stir Fry
- 1–2 tablespoons refined peanut oil or coconut oil
- 1 batch crispy tofu
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 large shiitakes, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 red pepper, sliced thin
- 4–5 scallions, sliced in half lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 baby bok choys, cut lengthwise
- 1–2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup bean sprouts, rinsed
The Sauce (see notes)
Make the Sauce
- Mix together the hoisin, rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, and miso in a saucepan. Heat to almost boiling.
- Whisk together cornstarch and water. Slowly add to the sauce, whisking all the while. Once it comes to a boil turn off the heat.
Make the Stir Fry
- Get your wok or pan smoking hot. Add peanut oil or coconut oil. Stirfry shiitake mushrooms for 2 minutes. Push to the side of the wok.
- Add bell pepper, half of the ginger and half of the garlic stir-fry 1 minute. Push to the side.
- Add scallions stir-fry a minute add the remaining ginger and garlic and Bok Choy. Stir another minute until Bok Choy is just beginning to wilt. Add soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Mix in the crispy tofu.
- Sprinkle the bean sprouts over the top.
- Warm tortillas or rice pancakes on a pan.
- Spoon sauce onto tortilla.
- Fill with stir-fried mixture, fold and enjoy!
Shortcut: Alternatively you can use straight store-bought hoisin sauce rather than make the sauce.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 198
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 48.8 mg
- Fat: 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 6.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.8 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 12.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: moo shu, moo shu tofu, vegan moo chu, vegetarian moo shu,