Meyer Lemon Loaf Cake with Toasted Pistachios and Lemony Glaze. The perfect balance between tart and sweet. Prep Time includes 40 minutes cooling time.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, (1 1/2 sticks, 6 ounces) room temperature or sightly softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 firm Meyer lemons (2-3 tablespoons meyer lemon zest) or use regular lemons see notes
- 1/3 cup meyer lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 ½ cups (190 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons meyer lemon juice
½ cup roasted pistachios, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Butter and flour (or use parchment) a loaf pan (8 ½” by 4 ½”)
- Cream butter and sugar in a stand or handheld mixer until pale, light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time mixing until fully incorporated. Add vanilla and meyer lemon zest.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and spices in medium sized bowl.
- In a separate little bowl, mix together lemon juice and yogurt.
- Add a third of the flour mixture and half of the lemon yogurt to the egg/butter batter, incorporating gently. Repeat, ending with the flour. Mix until just combined.
- Scoop batter into greased/floured pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake for 50 to 70 minutes. (This may seem like a big time range but it all depends on the pan you choose, your oven and the elevation your at)
- Test cake in the center until tester comes out clean. Cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Carefully remove cake from pan (use a knive to loosen edges) and allow it to cool on rack for another 30 minutes before adding glaze. while cooling make the Glaze.
MAKE GLAZE: Whisk together lemon juice and powdered sugar for the glaze taking care to smooth out any lumps. Place a tray or parchment paper under the rack. Spoon ½ of glaze over cake. Let sit 10 minutes and add the remaining glaze for a second coat.
Choose meyer lemons that are firm rather than soft, for easier zesting. I used 3 tablespoons meyer lemon zest for extra lemon flavor. If using regular lemons, you will only need 2 tablespoons.
If you can’t find Meyer lemons, feel free to use regular lemons or try subbing in a little orange zest/juice with the lemons to mimic that Meyer lemon taste.
I strongly encourage weighing flour. It can make all the difference.
Glaze: Sift powdered sugar before adding lemon juice for easier mixing. The glaze is thin to get the extra boost from the meyer lemon. I found applying twice can get more on the cake.
FYI We tested this with olive oil– and it was so-so, not great. Also tested using 1/2 cup butter and two eggs, flavor and texture wers good, but did not mound, so more of a flat loaf – which I thought was fine.
Keywords: lemon loaf, Meyer lemon loaf, Meyer lemon loaf cake, best lemon loaf recipe, lemon pistachio cake, pistachio cake