Meyer Lemon Loaf Cake with Toasted Pistachios and Lemony Glaze. The perfect balance between tart and sweet. Prep Time includes 40 minutes of cooling time.
- 1/2 cup butter, (4 ounces) at room temperature or sightly softened
- 3/4 cup –1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 firm Meyer lemons (2-3 tablespoons meyer lemon zest) or use regular lemons see notes
- 1/3 cup meyer lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups (190 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger (optional)
½ cup roasted pistachios, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Grease a 9-inch loaf pan
- Cream butter and sugar in a stand or handheld mixer until pale, light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time mixing until fully incorporated. Add vanilla and Meyer lemon zest. Add the yogurt and lemon juice, and mix to combine.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt and spices in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add a third of the flour mixture, mix, a third more, mix and add the last third.
- Pour batter into the greased pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake for 50 to 70 minutes. (This may seem like a big time range but it all depends on the pan you choose, your oven and the elevation your at) until internal temp reaches 200F and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10-15 minutes. Carefully remove cake from pan (use a knife to loosen edges) and allow it to cool on rack for another 20 minutes before adding glaze.
- Make the Lemon Glaze Recipe
- Once the cake has cooled, 20-30 minutes, drizzle with the lemon glaze. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios (while still wet, so they stick to the cake).
- Store cake on the counter for 3-5 days, lightly covered.
Choose meyer lemons that are firm rather than soft, for easier zesting. I used 3 tablespoons meyer lemon zest for extra lemon flavor. If using regular lemons, you will only need 2 tablespoons.
If you can’t find Meyer lemons, feel free to use regular lemons or try subbing in a little orange zest/juice with the lemons to mimic that Meyer lemon taste.
- Serving Size: 1 inch slice
- Calories: 378
- Sugar: 36.9 g
- Sodium: 194.5 mg
- Fat: 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 55.5 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 83.4 mg
Keywords: lemon loaf, lemon pistachio cake, Meyer lemon loaf, Meyer lemon cake, best lemon loaf recipe, lemon pistachio cake, pistachio cake