Mexican Street Corn (Elotes!). This lighter version can be kept vegan. Flavorful and healthy, serve it as a side dish with grilled meats or fish.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot- diced
- ½ a jalapeno or red chili- finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves- rough chopped
- 4 ears corn ( 4–5 cups corn)- shucked and kernels sliced off
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder ( or sub smoked paprika or chili powder)
- ¼ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3–4 tablespoons water or veggie stock
- juice from ½ a lime
- ¼–½ cup crumbled feta ( or sub cojita cheese or queso fresco cheese)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro, more for garnish
- optional – a couple tablespoons of vegan mayo
Heat oil in an extra large skillet over medium heat.
Add shallot and garlic. Saute until golden about 2 minutes, stirring often and lowering heat to med low if it seems too hot. Add chili, saute 1-2 minutes.
Add corn, spices, salt and pepper. Saute for a few minutes, stirring frequently. Add a splash of stock or water and the lime juice, stir, cover and steam for 3-4 minutes. Fold in the optional feta ( or cojito cheese) and half of the cilantro. Taste, adjust salt.
Serve warm in a bowl and top with more cilantro and crumbed feta.
You can also grill the corn whole ( shucked) directly on the grate, letting it a little charred in places. Let them cool, then slice the grilled kernels off the cob and add to the sautéed shallot-garlic- chili mixture in the skillet. Proceed with the recipe form there.
Cojito cheese is traditional here, but sometimes it’s hard to find- feta is a nice easy substitute.
Keywords: Mexican street corn, elote, elotes, how to make elote, mexican street corn, elite recipe, best elite recipe, elites recipe