Mexican Slaw with jalapeño and lime- perfect for tacos or a vegan side to your Mexican Feast. Fast and easy and Vegan!
- 1 pound thinly sliced or shredded cabbage ( 1/2 a large head, 4–5 cups shredded – purple is pretty, or green or use a mix)
- 1/4– 1/2 cup very thinly sliced red onion, more to taste ( or sub 1/2 cup green onion)
- 1 cup chopped cilantro (packed, thin stems ok!) or sub Italian parsely
- 1/4 – 1 whole jalapeño, finely chopped, more to taste, or use serrano chilies for more heat.
- 1 tablespoon lime zest (zest from 1 lime)
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh lime juice, more to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- pepper to taste
- Shred the cabbage by very thinly slicing or use a mandolin. If making an extra-large batch using your food processor with a grater attachment! See notes for adding other veggies.
- Add the cilantro, onion (see note on soaking), jalapeno, lime zest and lime juice, olive oil, salt, cumin, coriander and pepper.
- Toss well. Taste and adjust salt and lime juice to your liking. Limes vary in acidity, so adding to taste is always best. Add extra jalapeno if you like. If serving inside tacos, I always bump up the salt and lime a little.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to serve. Leftovers are good for 3-4 days.
Veggies: Feel free to add other shredded or thinly sliced veggies: red bell pepper, carrots, kohlrabi, radish, etc.
If you are sensitive to onions, soak them in a bowl of salted water for 15 minutes, before draining and adding to the salad. This will remove the bitterness. You can also pickle the red onions!
Limes: If unripe, they can be overly acidic- always try to buy limes that feel soft and not rock hard.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 108
- Sugar: 5.2 g
- Sodium: 189.3 mg
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.6 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 2.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Mexican slaw, taco slaw, Mexican salad, cilantro lime cabbage slaw,