Filled with flavor, protein and fresh ingredients these healthy Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers are completely adaptable, easy to make and can be prepared ahead for a healthy weeknight dinner.
- 4 large bell peppers ( red, yellow or orange, or a mix)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, (or sub white rice, quinoa, freekeh, farro, or cauliflower rice)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, about 1 cup diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 pound of ground turkey or choice of protein ( ground plant-based meat, lamb, chicken, beef)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 10 kalamata olives, quartered lengthwise
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered or chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) feta cheese, diced or crumbled
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Slice the bell peppers in half from the stem down. Discard seeds and pith.
- Sauté the onion in olive oil for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add the garlic stirring in cooking for a few more minutes.
- Add the ground turkey (or protein of choice), salt, pepper, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 5 minutes until turkey is cooked through. Add vinegar, tomato paste and spinach and turn the heat off. Stir until everything is incorporated and spinach wilts.
- Mix in cooked rice, olives, tomatoes, feta, parmesan, dill and mint. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Scoop mixture into halved bell pepper shells. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes until hot through. Allow for 10 minutes more baking time if the filling is cold.
If you prefer a softer well-cooked pepper, set on a tray, cut side up, with a tablespoon of water and bake in a preheated oven at 400F for 5-10 minutes.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 342
- Sugar: 9.7 g
- Sodium: 636.2 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.3 g
- Fiber: 5.7 g
- Protein: 19.7 g
- Cholesterol: 57.6 mg
Keywords: stuffed peppers, Mediterranean stuffed peppers, stuffed pepper recipe, best stuffed peppers, vegetarian stuffed peppers