This simple, easy mayonnaise recipe is made with olive oil and can be made in a blender, food processor, whisked by hand, or use an immersion blender. Keep it in the fridge for up to 3 weeks! Makes 2 cups- feel free to halve the recipe – see notes. (FYI, I’ve made it with each, and my favorite way is using the immersion blender in the large jar, for the easiest clean-up.)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups mild-flavored olive oil– or feel free to use half avocado oil (make sure your olive oil is not bitter, taste it first!)
- Optional additions- garlic clove, fresh herbs, lemon zest, or splash lemon juice- see notes.
- Place egg yolks, mustard, vinegar, salt, in a blender, food processor, bowl, or in a jar using an immersion blender. Blend /whisk for one minute until frothy.
- VERY SLOWLY, drip in olive oil –1 -2 teaspoons at a time blending/whisking well between each addition. Be patient here in the beginning- especially with the first 1/4 cup of olive oil – this is the key to getting the mayo to emulsify and get creamy and thick.
- Once creamy, then gradually add more in a very thin stream, blending or vigorously whisking the remaining olive oil.
- Scrape down sides if need be, and blend until creamy.
- Taste and adjust salt and acid. A little splash of lemon juice is nice here.
- Place in a 2-cup jar with a lid and refrigerate.
Store the basic recipe in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. (The vinegar keeps this fresh longer.)
If adding fresh garlic or fresh herbs- the mayo will only keep one week. (Dried herbs or granulated garlic will not affect it.)
If you substitute lemon juice for the vinegar, again, the mayo will only keep for one week.
Personally, I do not like the “eggy” taste of some mayos- so I have “upped” the vinegar and dijon here to masque this. Feel free to reduce if you prefer.
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- Calories: 97
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 54.5 mg
- Fat: 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0.1 g
- Cholesterol: 10.2 mg
Keywords: mayonaise recipe, homemade mayonaise, olive oil mayo, olive oil mayonaise