This Simple Lentil Tabouli Salad is full of Middle Eastern flavor! Filling lentils are paired with summer tomatoes, lemon, mint and parsley and a unique combination of spices, and keeps for several days, perfect for midweek lunches or potlucks! Vegan and Gluten-Free!
- 1 1/2 Cups Puy Lentils ( Palouse Black Caviar Lentils)
- 4 Cups water
- 4 medium tomatoes- (2 cups finely diced)
- 1 large bunch Italian Parsley- finely chopped ( about 1 1/2 Cups)
- 1/3 C finely diced Red onion or shallot
- 1/4 C finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp allspice
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 C lemon juice and zest of one lemon
- Cracked Pepper to taste
- To prevent tummy bloating soak lentils in cold water 8 hours, or overnight.
- In a medium pot bring lentils and water to a boil. Turn down heat, cover and let simmer on med-low to low heat for 20-25 minutes, or until just tender. Strain and rinse with cold water until lentils are nice and cold.
- While lentils are simmering. Finely dice tomatoes, onion, parsley and mint, and place in a medium sized bowl.
- Toss in rinsed cold lentils and mix in olive oil, lemon juice,½ of the zest, kosther salt, pepper, cinnamon and allspice. (Don’t be tempted to leave the spices out, trust me, they work well!!)
- Miix. Adjust salt and lemon if necessary, and let the flavors meld for at least 10 minutes. Chill until ready to serve. Garnish with remaining lemon zest.
Keywords: lentil tabouli, lentil tabouli salad, lentil salad, lentil salad recipe, lentil tabbouleh, lentil tabbouleh salad