Packed with nutrients and comforting flavor, this lentil chili is perfect for fall, from weeknight dinners to weekend gatherings. It saves well, leftovers taste even better! Vegan adaptable.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 pound ground meat chorizo (use veggie meat, turkey, beef, chicken)
- 8 ounces dried brown lentils
- 4 ounces dried red lentils (can sub brown lentils, red makes the chili thicker)
- 2 carrot, sliced in half rounds about 1 1/2 cups
- 15 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno, diced (seeds removed or not)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (adjust salt to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ancho powder (use chipotle for spicy)
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 6 cups broth, veggie, chicken or beef
- 1 bell pepper, green or colored, chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (optional-to taste)
For Stove Top
- Sauté onion in a pan over medium high heat with oil for 3 minutes until it starts to soften. Add garlic stirring in and add chorizo, sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add lentils, carrots, tomatoes, jalapeño, salt, ancho powder, oregano, smoked paprika, and cumin. Mix together.
- Add broth, molasses and cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer with a vented lid for 30 minutes.
- Add green pepper and simmer 15 minutes more.
- In a skillet, sauté onion in a pan over medium high heat with oil for 3 minutes until it starts to soften. Add garlic stirring in and add chorizo, sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the chorizo mixture into the crockpot along with the lentils, carrots, tomatoes, jalapeño, salt, ancho powder, oregano, smoked paprika cumin broth, molasses and cinnamon sticks.
- With the lid on, cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours. Add in the green peppers in the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Stir in the apple cider vinegar and adjust seasonings if needed.
Serve with fresh cilantro and sour cream.
The Lentil Chili will have a thicker consistency when slow cooked in the crockpot.
Taste your broth for salt and adjust recipe measurement if needed. You can always add more to finish!
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 9.1 g
- Sodium: 774.9 mg
- Fat: 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 41 g
- Fiber: 7.9 g
- Protein: 24.3 g
- Cholesterol: 33.9 mg
Keywords: lentil chili, crockpot lentil chili, lentil chili recipe, lentil chili crockpot, lentil chili slow cooker