La Cura Cocktail! A mezcal Margarita meets the classic Penicillin cocktail – a fusion of two cocktail classics- with sweet, sour, salty and smoky notes.
- 3/4 ounce Honey Ginger Syrup
- 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 a lime
- 1 1/2 ounces blended scotch
- 1/2 ounce mezcal
Garnish Candied ginger on a skewer, set across the rim.
Honey Ginger Syrup:
- 1/4 cup honey (see notes for vegan)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1” thumb fresh ginger, peeled
Salted Chili Rim:
- Make the Honey Ginger syrup. Pour 1/4 cup honey into a glass measuring cup. Add 1/4 cup hot water, and whisk to blend. Peel a 1” thumb of fresh ginger, and place a fine-mesh strainer over the honey syrup. Grate the ginger into the strainer, then press the pulp with the back of a spoon until all the juice is extracted. Whisk the ginger “juice” into the honey syrup to combine. (Makes enough for 5 drinks.)
- Salt the rim. Run the cut face of a lemon or lime around the lip of the glass then invert onto a plate sprinkled with kosher salt and chili lime seasoning.
- Shake: Fill a cocktail shaker 2/3 full with ice. Add the blended scotch, 3/4 of an ounce of a combination of lemon and lime juice, and 3/4 ounce of honey-ginger syrup. Shake vigorously, and pour into the salted glass.
- Finish: Gently float the mezcal onto the surface of the drink, by slowly pouring it over the back of a spoon (see photo) to help keep it at the surface. Do not stir. Top the glass with a skewer of candied ginger.
- Enjoy immediately.
Makes one drink.
Feel free to sub Simple Syrup (made with Demerara sugar or raw sugar) for a vegan version. Bring equal parts sugar and water ( 1/4 cup of each) to a boil stirring until sugar is completely dissolved, let cool.
- Serving Size: 3.5. ounces
Keywords: mezcal cocktail, scotch cocktail, penicillin recipe, penicillin with mezcal, la cura cocktail, la cura recipe, mezcal and scotch cocktail