Meltingly tender, Instant Pot Lamb Tagine is aromatic and flavorful and so easy to make using the pressure cooker setting. Serve it over Cous Cous and optional Tfaya for a hearty delicious meal.
- 2–3 tablespoon olive oil, butter or ghee
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 6–8 cloves garlic, rough chopped
- 3 extra-large carrots, peeled and sliced into 1 ½-2 inch thick rounds ( at a diagonal)
- 2 pounds lamb -stew meat (shoulder) cut into 1 -2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons, preserved lemon, rough chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock (or water and 1 bouillon cube)
- lemon juice from 1/2 medium lemon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (or 1 teaspoon per pound meat)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick ( or ¼ teaspoon cinnamon)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup– 1 cup green or kalamata olives, sliced in half
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley chopped
- 4–6 cups cooked couscous
Tfaya (Caramelized Onion Raisin Relish) – Optional
Set Instant Pot to saute function and heat the oil. Add the onions, and saute 3-4 minutes until fragrant. Add the garlic, saute 1-2 minutes, add the carrots, lamb, preserved lemons, and chicken stock and lemon juice scrape up all the browned bits.
Add the salt, cumin, coriander, paprika, ginger, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon stick, cloves and bay leaves. Give a good stir. Set to Pressure cook on high for 45 minutes. Let pressure release manually or naturally. Add the olives to the pot and stir to warm.
Taste, and adjust salt and pepper if needed. For more heat, add chili flakes. If tagine tastes too tangy for you, add a teaspoon or two of honey to help balance the flavors. To make it tangier, add more chopped preserved lemon or lemon juice.
Serve the lamb over a platter of couscous, spooning a little of the flavorful broth over top. Sprinkle with fresh parsley, chili flakes and optional Tfaya. Slivered almonds are also nice.
To make the Tfaya: Saute the onions in the oil until tender and caramelized over med heat in a medium pot. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a simmer, and simmer gently for 15- 20 minutes.
Keywords: lamb tagine, instant pot lamb tagine, instant pot lamb recipes, lamb stew, lamb instant pot, moroccan lamb, instant pot lamb stew, instant pot recipes, lamb recipes