Cozy up with a comforting bowl of Butternut Risotto with Leeks and Spinach made with very little fuss, in your Instant Pot pressure cooker. Vegan-adaptable and Gluten-free. Stovetop version in notes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or butter)
- 2 cups sliced leeks (one extra large leek)
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 8 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 cup Arborio rice or short-grain Spanish rice (Bomba)
- 2 heaping cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1/4 cup white wine (or skip it)
- 2 cups veggie stock or chicken stock or broth (or water and one teaspoon or cube veggie bouillon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper (or sub black pepper to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg the nutmeg makes this- don’t leave it out!
- 2–3 handfuls baby spinach
- OPTIONAL: 1/4 – 1/2 cup parmesan, pecorino, manchego, goat cheese, vegan cheese or cashew cheese – or the leave cheese out and use LEEK OIL for garnish. Or stir in 1-2 tablespoons of butter or ghee, or a drizzle of olive oil.
- Optional: Maple Glazed Pecans
- Set Instant Pot to the “Saute” function.
- Slice and rinse leeks, separating rings (rinsing will help them to soften faster)
- Heat oil in the instant pot, add leeks and stir for 2 minutes. Add garlic, sage and rice, stir for 2 minutes. Add butternut squash, and keep stirring for a couple of minutes, until there is a bit of browning on the bottom of the instant pot.
- Add the wine and scrape up the browned bits- a wooden spoon is good for this. Let all the wine cook off, about 2-3 minutes. Add the stock or broth. Scrape up more browned bits. Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg, and give a good stir.
- Seal the instant pot and pressure cook on HIGH for 6 minutes. Naturally release for 5 minutes, then manually release.
- While the Instant pot is going you could make the leek oil and/or the maple glazed pecans.
- Stir the risotto, adding the spinach and cheese or butter if you like, or leave them out. As the butternut breaks down a bit, it will add a nice natural creaminess to the risotto.
- Garnish with optional leek oil or maple glazed pecans.
The butternut in the instant pot will break down and almost becomes the sauce here.
STOVETOP INSTRUCTIONS: ( you will need 4-5 cups warm stock)
- ROAST BUTTERNUT: Toss the butternut with olive oil, salt and pepper and ROAST the butternut in a 400 F oven on a parchment-lined sheet pan until caramelized and tender 25-30 minutes. At the same time make risotto.
- RISOTTO: In a large heavy-bottomed pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the washed leeks. Saute until fragrant and tender, covering for a few minutes to let them steam a bit. Add garlic and sage, saute 2 more minutes until fragrant.
- Add the rice and saute 1 minute, stirring. Add a splash of white wine, and cook this off. Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add 1-2 cups warm stock (enough to cover the rice), stir and bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed. Continue adding broth 1 cup at a time, letting the rice absorb it slowly, stirring often over med-low heat, until the rice is plumped, slightly al dente, yet creamy, about 20-25 minutes. Keep it thick or add more stock to loosen it up a bit.
- Stir in the roasted butternut and spinach and optional cheese or butter. Taste, season and adjust salt and pepper. If bland, it probably needs more salt.
- Garnish with the leek oil and maple glazed pecans.
Keywords: Instant Pot risotto, Butternut Risotto, instant pot butternut risotto, vegan risotto, vegan butternut recipes, vegan instant pot recipes.