A fresh and flavorful Indian Spinach Salad with black lentils, roasted cauliflower and roasted radishes. Caramelized shallots and a Tempered Seed Dressing give the salad amazing flavor, depth and crunchy texture. (Serves 2 as an entree salad or 4 as a side salad.)
- 2 cups cauliflower, broken or cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 bunch radishes, about 5 or 6, cut into quarters
- 3 tablespoons Avocado oil- divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 shallots, average-sized, cut in thin slices
- 1/2– 1 teaspoon grated ginger (depending on your love of ginger)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste!)
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste (or sub more lime to taste)
- 5 oz baby spinach, about 4–5 cups
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- a squeeze of 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 cup cooked black lentils, room temp (or sub chickpeas or brown lentils) see notes
- garnish with 1/4 cup pistachios (optional)
- Heat oven to 450 F degrees. On a sheet pan drizzle a couple of teaspoons of avocado oil over radishes and cauliflower. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Slice shallot in strips, put in a sauté pan with 2 tablespoons of avocado oil, saute 5-8 minutes on medium heat until soft and lightly caramelized. Mix in fresh ginger and salt sautéing for another 30 seconds. Push mixture over to one side of the pan, add a tablespoon of avocado oil, when it just begins to shimmer add coriander, cumin and mustard seeds. Stir constantly for about 3 minutes until they start to brown just a bit. Remove from heat.
- Mix seeds and shallots with black pepper, cayenne and tamarind paste. Set aside.
- In your serving bowl, toss together spinach and cilantro with a teaspoon of avocado oil, a few shakes of salt and pepper and a squeeze of about half of a lime.
- Spoon the caramelized shallot dressing on top of the greens. It is ok if it is still slightly warm wilting the spinach a bit. I find it best just a touch warmer then room temperature. Layer on lentils, roasted cauliflower and radishes, top with toasted pistachios.
- Serve immediately.
To cook lentils; cover with water or broth in a saucepan adding salt to taste. (about a 1/4 cup dry will yield a healthy 1/2 cup). Simmer 20-25 minutes until tender but not mushy. Drain.
If you are going for an entree salad you can double the lentil amount. Serves 2 this way.
- Serving Size: 1 ½ cups
Keywords: spinach salad, tempered seed dressing, Indian salad, Indian spinach salad, wilted spinach salad