This quick and easy recipe for Huckleberry Cake is a delicious way to highlight fresh seasonal huckleberries. And yes, you can use frozen huckleberries or even blueberries if you can’t find huckleberries in your area. Vegan-adaptable; see notes.
- 3/4 cup whole milk yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4– 1 cup sugar (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1–2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup huckleberries (fresh or frozen, or use blueberries)
Lemon Glaze Recipe
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Grease a 9-inch loaf pan with olive oil or butter (or use an 8-9 inch cake pan)
- In a large bowl, whisk yogurt, eggs, olive oil and vanilla until smooth. Add the sugar & mix really well, for 2 minutes. Mix in the salt & sprinkle in baking powder ( I do this over a strainer to catch any clumps), then stir in the flour and whisk until the batter is well combined and smooth. (Alternatively, you can mix the flour and baking powder separately- adding it together.) If the batter feels overly thick, you can loosen it with a little more yogurt, milk, etc, but a thicker batter will help keep the huckleberries in place and not sink.
- Gently fold in the lemon zest and huckleberries, being careful not to overmix.
- Pour the into the greased loaf pan and place on the lower to middle rack of the oven. Check at 35 minutes, and tent with foil if it is getting too dark, and continue baking until internal temp reaches 200F, or a toothpick comes out clean, 50-60 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, make the lemon glaze.
- Let the cake cool on a wire rack 15 minutes, before inverting.
- Run a knife along the edges of the loaf pan and invert. Place the cake on a wire rack over a sheet pan, and drizzle with the lemony glaze. Sprinkle with powdered sugar you like.
- Serve as is or with whipped cream or ice cream.
To make this vegan: leave out the eggs. Use a higher-fat, plant-based yogurt and increase to 1 cup (instead of 3/4 cup) of yogurt. If the batter feels overly thick, add 2-4 tablespoons of plant-based milk.
The cake will keep up to 3-4 days at room temp, lightly covered
This can be made in a 8-inch cake pan, or spring form pan, lined with parchment.
Sugar: Huckleberries are quite tart so if you prefer a sweeter cake use the full cup of sugar. I enjoyed this with 3/4 cups of sugar- keep in mind the lemony glaze is sweet as well. If using blueberries (much sweeter than huckleberries) reduce sugar to 1/2 cup- 3/4 cup.
- Serving Size: 1 inch slice, without the glaze
- Calories: 291
- Sugar: 19.2 g
- Sodium: 405.8 mg
- Fat: 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.9 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 5.3 g
- Cholesterol: 43.6 mg
Keywords: Huckleberry cake, huckleberry lemon cake, huckleberry cake recipe,