Spice up your meals with Homemade Taco Seasoning! Made with simple spices you already have at home, this flavorful spice blend takes just 5 minutes to make- and you’ll never go back to store-bought again!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder (or ground dried chilies- see notes)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1/4– 3/4 teaspoons ground chipotle powder (or smoked paprika or cayenne pepper)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or sugar substitute, optional, but tasty)
- 1/4– 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
Measure and Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and give a good stir.
Store in a sealed jar.
If adding whole dried chilies: Test for heat level (it should say on the package, or taste small piece). Place a whole chili in a high-powered blender, or spice grinder (remove stems, and seeds if you like). Grind until fine. Use as “chili powder” adding 1 tablespoon to this basic recipe. Use the remainder as you would chili flakes- I like to keep in a little bowl handy by the stove.
To enhance or revive spices or dried chilies, lightly toast in a dry skillet for 30-60 seconds. Let cool before mixing.
Spice blend will keep 6-9 months in a sealed jar.
Add the entire batch of spices to one normal-sized batch of chili (1-2 lbs meat + 1-2 cans beans).
Keywords: chili seasoning, homemade chili seasoning, chili spices, spices in chili, how to use dried chilies, dried chili recipes, recipe for chili seasoning