Vegetarian Hibiscus Flower Quesadillas- so “meaty” and delicious, the flowers are sauted with onion and garlic and add great texture and flavor! | www.feastingathome.com
- In a medium pot, add 1 cup dried hibiscus flowers to 4 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover, then simmer on medium for 5 minutes. Turn heat off and leave covered.
- Prep onion and garlic, crumble the cheese and get garnishes ready (slice avocado, chop cilantro, scallions). Drain flowers, reserving and chilling liquid for drinks!
- In a skillet, heat oil over med-high. Add onion and drained re-hydrated hibiscus flowers. Saute for two minutes.Turn heat to medium-low, add garlic, stir a minute, then cover, Let cook 5 minutes. Add salt and spices, mix.
- Assemble quesadillas. Add crumbled queso fresco cheese to half the tortilla, top with cooked hibiscus, avocado, scallions and cilantro. Fold over. Repeat.
- In a greased skillet over medium heat, lightly brown both sides of the quesadillas then place on a sheet pan, in a warm oven to melt the cheese. Cut into wedges. Serve hot.