This Harvest Vegetable Soup recipe is so cozy and nourishing! Packed with seasonal veggies and chickpeas in a luscious roasted tomato base with fresh herbs. Vegan & delicious!
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound, fresh roma tomatoes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 to 6 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut in half moons
- 1–2 small gold or chioga beets, cut in small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 red sweet pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 zucchini, chopped into half moons or cubes
- 4–5 cups broth, chicken or veggie, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2–1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 cups, 1 can chickpeas
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Wash tomatoes and slice them in half. Lay tomatoes skin down cut side up on a lined baking pan. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 30 minutes, until wilted.
- While tomatoes are roasting, sauté onions and garlic for about 15-20 minutes until soft and carmelized, transfer half of the onion mixture into the blender.
- Blend this half of sautéed onion/garlic mixture with cooled roasted tomatoes and 3 cups of broth until smooth. The peels blend up quite tiny. If you prefer ultra smooth you can strain the tomato broth.
- In the pot with the reserved onions, add sage, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, paprika, celery, carrots, beets, and cauliflower. Mix on low heat for a minute just to coat everything.
- Add remaining cup of plain broth and low simmer with lid on for 15 minutes. Add red pepper, zucchini, and chickpeas and tomato broth. Simmer 20-30 minutes more. Test the vegetables for doneness. Simmer longer if needed. Add additional broth if desired.
Feel free to use other veggies! In addition to the carrots and celery, add 4 cups of veggies!
Soup will keep up to 4 days in the fridge or can be frozen for up to 6 months.
Regular red beets can dominate the color of the soup. Try substituting with golden beets, parsnip or rutabaga.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup
- Calories: 318
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 1206.4 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 57.9 g
- Fiber: 9.9 g
- Protein: 11.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegetable soup, harvest soup, harvest vegetable soup, vegetable chickpea soup, harvest vegetable soup recipe