This Green Beans Almondine recipe is so simple yet full of incredible flavor! Toasty almonds, crispy garlic, lemon zest, shallots, and chili pepper flakes bring it up a notch! Vegan.
- 1 lb green beans, trim, removing stem end.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, or use part butter.
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 4 fat garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 1 fat shallot, finely chopped
- lemon zest from one lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- generous pinch red pepper flakes or Aleppo chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Set a large pot of salted water to boil.
- In a large skillet, or saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the sliced almonds and saute for just a few minutes, toasting. Add the sliced garlic, and shallot, lowe heat, sauteing until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the lemon zest, black pepper and red pepper flakes, toasting one minute. Turn off heat.
- Blanch the green beans in the boiling water, until tender-crisp and vibrant green. Drain or use tongs, to place them into the saute pan and return the heat to medium low.
- Season generously with salt. You’ll likely need more than you think, taste as you go.
- Squeeze with fresh lemon juice, taste adjusting.
- Turn out onto a platter or serving dish, getting all of the crispy bits from the pan.
The green beans can be made ahead and gently reheated.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 173
- Sugar: 4.9 g
- Sodium: 239.4 mg
- Fat: 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.4 g
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 4.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: green beans almondine, green beans with almonds, green beans almonds, green bean recipe with almonds, haricot vert almondine