This simple Glazed Carrots recipe is a delightful addition to any meal; tender and succulent with just the right balance of sweet and tangy. Special enough for the holiday table and easy enough for weeknight dinners. Vegan-adaptable.
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots cut into julienned 1/2 inch thick slices (uniformly sized pieces so that they cook at the same rate) If your carrots are on the larger side, cut the slices thinner.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (see notes for vegan option)
- 2 rosemary sprigs (if you want more rosemary flavor, mince the rosemary)
- 1/4– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, adjust to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
garnish with fresh parsley and a squeeze of orange juice if desired!
- In a large, heavy skillet or pan, over medium heat, heat the oil. Add carrots, spread out evenly, and do not stir for 4 minutes or so, until carrots start to sear and brown. Stir and let sit for a few more minutes cooking like this until the carrots are lightly brown on the edges.
- Add water, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, butter, rosemary sprigs, black pepper and salt. Let it come to a boil and turn down to simmer with lid on for 5- 8 minutes until carrots are al dente, just barely fork tender (this will take longer when using larger carrots, fresh carrots will cook faster). See notes.
- Remove the lid, stir, turn to low let the liquid reduce until it becomes syrupy, stirring every few minutes or so. You want them to get caramelized and darken. This will take about 8-12 minutes.
Serve with a sprinkle of chopped parsley if desired.
The larger the carrots, the longer they have been in the ground and the firmer they will be. Cut them thinner and you may need to simmer them longer to get them tender.
Use coconut oil for vegan option- start with 1 tablespoon adding more if more richness is desired.
Make ahead tip: Prep and cut the carrots ahead and store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 133
- Sugar: 12.2 g
- Sodium: 133.6 mg
- Fat: 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.8 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 1.2 g
- Cholesterol: 10.2 mg
Keywords: glazed carrots, glazed carrots recipe, glazed carrrots stovetop