A simple easy recipe for Everyday Quinoa with Lemon, Shallot and Herbs- a delicious healthy side dish that is vegan, gluten-free and full of protein. Can be made-ahead…make a big batch on Sunday for weekday meals, or bring to a potluck!
- 1–2 shallots ( or 1/4 of an onion) – very thinly sliced – see notes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed, drained ( rinsing removes bitterness)
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic (or use 1–2 minced garlic cloves with the shallot)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano ( or italian seasoning, or herbs de Provence, or similar)
- lemon zest from one small lemon,
- sprinkling of fresh herbs ( italian parsley, dill, basil, cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds ( optional- other nuts & seeds are ok, or just leave off)
- sautéed shallot ( see notes) or crispy shallots
- drizzle of good olive oil– optional but good.
In a medium pot, over medium heat, sauté the shallot in the oil, until golden and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. If you want, set half aside for the garnish. Add rinsed/drained quinoa, water, salt, cumin, granulated garlic and dried herbs, and give a good stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover well, and cook for 15 minutes. Check to see that quinoa has soaked up all the water. If not, continue cooking 2-5 more minutes. If it has, turn heat off and let it sit covered 5-10 more minutes.
Fluff with a fork, place in a serving bowl and toss gently with lemon zest, sprinkle with fresh herbs and, sauted shallots and optional nuts. Don’t over mix.
For extra richness a drizzle of good quality olive oil is really nice touch.
When serving this as a side dish all on its own, I like to use two sautéed shallots, half for cooking with the quinoa, and the other half for sprinkling over the top as a garnish. If batch cooking for the week, you may not need the garnish.
Rinsing the quinoa is imperative. It really does help remove the bitterness.
If making a smaller batch or bigger batch, my general ratio of water to quinoa = 1 cup quinoa to 1.5 cups water.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 185
- Sugar: 0.6 g
- Sodium: 391.7 mg
- Fat: 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.1 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 6.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: easy quinoa recipes, healthy quinoa recipes, vegan quinoa recipes, quinoa recipe, quinoa recipes, simple quinoa recipe, healthy side dish, vegan side dish