Crispy Jackfruit Carnitas a Mexican-inspired vegan recipe that can be used as a meat substitute in tacos, enchiladas, burritos or burrito bowls. Perfect for Sunday meal prep- this lasts 4 days in the fridge.
- 20 ounce can of Jackfruit, (packed in WATER not syrup), drained.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil ( divided )
- 1/2 a red onion, diced (one cup) or one fat shallot
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1/2 a jalapeno, finely diced (add more or less depending on spice preference- this is medium spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or Braggs liquid amino acid
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin ( whole seeds are nice too)
- 1 teaspoon dry Mexican Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, more for smokier
- 1 /2 teaspoon sugar ( to help caramelize)
- Drain the jackfruit and cut into very thin slices, slicing through the core, see photo.
- Place it in the middle of a kitchen towel, roll it up and wring it out very very firmly. Squeeze out as much water as you can. You should see quite a bit of liquid release.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil (save the other tablespoon for later) and saute the onion, garlic and jalapeno over medium heat until deeply golden and fragrant, about 5-6 minutes stirring often. Be patient here, this is where the flavor is. 🙂
- Add the jackfruit, and soy sauce and stir well and lower heat. This is where you’ll let the moisture cook-off even more- you want to get this fairly dry but without burning. So low heat, stirring occasionally, uncovered, 3-5 minutes.
- When it seems good and dry, add the salt, sugar, and spices- chili powder, cumin, oregano smoked paprika, and add 1 tablespoon olive oil – stir-frying the spices and jackfruit a bit until jackfruit begins to caramelize crisp and deepen in color. It should smell amazing!
- Taste, and adjust salt and spice level ( feel free to add cayenne, ground chipotle or more smoked paprika). For more tang, squeeze with lime, keeping in mind jackfruit has a natural tanginess, so taste it first.
- Use Jackfruit Carnitas in tacos, enchiladas, burritos or burrito bowls, and breakfast bowls.
- Serving Size: ½ cup
- Calories: 169
- Sugar: 18.2 g
- Sodium: 566.3 mg
- Fat: 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.5 g
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 2.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: jackfruit recipes, jackfruit carnitas, jackfruit tacos, how to cook jackfruit