A simple vegan recipe for Glowing Carrot Ginger Turmeric Soup with Coconut milk.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil ( or vegetable oil, olive oil)
- ½ cup chopped shallot ( 2 shallots, or ½ an onion)
- 2 tablespoons chopped, peeled turmeric ( see notes)
- 2 tablespoon chopped, peeled ginger root
- 4 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 pint fresh carrot juice ( 2 cups– ok to use store bought) or use 2 cups veggie or chicken stock.
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb chopped carrots
- ½ teaspoon salt, then more to taste
- ¾ – 1 can of coconut milk, saving some for swirling if you want.
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar, or lime juice
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce ( or Braggs liquid amino ) – this is optional, added for depth.
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Pinch or two cayenne, to taste
- garnish with mint, cilantro or edible flowers
- Peel and chop shallots, turmeric, ginger and garlic.
- Chop the carrots into ½ inch rings, no need to peel if scrubbed.
- Heat oil in a large pot, over medium heat.
- Add shallots, turmeric root and ginger and sauté until golden, about 3-4 minutes. (see notes if using ground turmeric)
- Add garlic and continue cooking, stirring about 2 minutes.
- Add carrot juice, water and carrots and salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover, turn heat down and simmer until carrots are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Let it cool a bit, then blend in batches until very smooth and velvety.
- Place the soup back in a pot, over low heat and add coconut milk and curry, vinegar, soy, and maple. Simmer and stir until coconut milk is combined. Taste, adjust salt.
- Add cayenne for a little heat.
- Serve with fresh herbs and coconut milk swirls.
If subbing ground turmeric add it when you add the curry powder. It is much more intense in flavor than the fresh root, so start with one teaspoon, adding more to taste.