Cornbread Casserole takes just 20 minutes of prep before baking in the oven. When it comes out, it smells amazing and is beautifully golden. A simple tasty weeknight dinner.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cups corn (frozen or fresh) see notes
- 4-ounce can diced green chilies ( or use 1/2 cup diced poblano pepper or one chopped jalapeno, and saute it with the onion )
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (or scallions)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup melted butter, slightly cooled.
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese- cheddar, jack or mozzarella
Serve with Mexican Slaw!
Preheat oven to 375F
Saute the filling: In a large skillet, saute onion in olive oil over medium heat until fragrant and golden, about 3-4 minutes. If using fresh chilies, saute with the onion. Add the bell pepper and cook 3-4 minutes. Add the fresh or frozen corn, saute 3-4 minutes. If using canned chilies, add along with spices and salt, saute 2 minutes, then turn heat off. Stir in fresh cilantro.
Combine. Add the sauteed corn/pepper mixture to the dry ingredients along with the egg mixture and stir to combine all. Add 3/4 cup grated cheese. Pour the batter into a 2-quart greased baking dish, ( 8×9, 11 x 7) or you can bake it in a 10-inch cast ioron skillet) and top with the remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Batter should ideally not be over 2 inches high.
Bake uncovered, for 25-35 minutes, or until puffed (it will dome) and golden!
Sprinkle with cilantro and/ or scallions! Serve warm.
Can be baked ahead and reheated.
Feel free to add or sub other veggies (for the corn) to the saute- diced zucchini, spinach, mushrooms, etc.
Serve with. Mexican Slaw!
Keywords: how to make cornbread casserole, Mexican cornbread casserole, corn casserole, cornbread casserole,