VEGAN Chocolate Tart with Hazelnut Crust- a vegan and gluten-free tart that is deceptively decadent, silky smooth and luscious!
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 1/4 cups quick oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil– melted ( or butter)
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup, rice syrup or honey
- 3.5 ounces chocolate ( 65% cocoa or less)
- 1/4 c water
- 1/2 block silken tofu ( 6 ounces– firm or extra firm)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1–2 teaspoons kahlua ( optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Garnish with ….shaved chocolate, toasted hazelnuts
- Pre heat oven to 325 F. In a food processor, place hazelnuts, oats and salt and pulse until it’s course and sand-like in consistency. It doesn’t have to be super fine. Add in the melted coconut oil and maple syrup, and pulse several times until it is incorporated. Using fingers, press mixture into a 4” x 13.5” tart pan or 7-8 inch round (with removable bottom) taking your time to press into every nook and cranny. It should be 1/3 inch thick with uniform thickness and clean edges. Pierce the bottom with a fork 10-12 times, and place in the middle of the oven 17-20 minutes, checking halfway through. If edges seem like they are getting too dark, lightly cover foil ( just set the foil on top). You do want this to get very golden, to ensure the crust is crispy, so keep in the oven the entire time, just lightly cover if necessary.
- While the tart shell is baking, make the filling. In a small heavy bottom pot ( or double boiler, or microwave) heat the chocolate and water over medium heat and whisk until very smooth.
- Rinse out the food processor and puree the silken tofu with the maple, vanilla and kahlua until very smooth, scraping down the sides. And the melted chocolate and process until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Remove tart shell from the oven, let cool 15 minutes, fill with chocolate mixture, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Top with hazelnuts and using a vegetable peeler shave dark chocolate over top. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight. Crust will surprisingly remain crisp.
Crust will surprisingly remain crisp after several days!
- Serving Size: 1/6 th of the tart
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 14.4 g
- Sodium: 103.3 mg
- Fat: 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.5 g
- Fiber: 4.6 g
- Protein: 8.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: chocolate tart, vegan chocolate tart, gluten-free chocolate tart, hazelnut crust