Richly flavored with melt-in-your-mouth yumminess, these Chocolate Hazelnut Shortbread Cookies have the perfect buttery crunch. Relish them as is or take them over the top with chocolate drizzle or chocolate dipped. Allow 1 ½ hours chilling time.
- 2 sticks (225 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups (187 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (56 g) rice flour ( or use more AP flour)
- 1/4 cup (30 g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and finely chopped- plus another 1/3 cup for coating the edges
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon salt (Himalayan is good here)
- Cream together softened butter and sugar for about 2 minutes in a stand mixer (or by hand) until just smooth, not fluffy. Scrape down the sides.
- Add vanilla. Mix another few seconds to incorporate. Add in all-purpose flour, rice flour, cocoa powder, hazelnuts and salt. Combine until dough forms.
- Squish and roll the dough into a log (or two short logs is easier to work with) about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, refrigerate 1 hour.
- Cut in 1/4 inch thick slices, chill on a baking sheet for 20-30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325F for 20-25 minutes. Let cool on the pan for 5-10 minutes and transfer on to a cooling rack.
Optional Hazelnut Coating– coat the outside of the chilled cookie roll in chopped hazelnuts by spreading the the nuts in a pan or plate. Brush the cookie dough log with egg white or maple syrup, and press and roll in the nuts. You may need to roll a couple of times to evenly coat.
Optional (but highly recommended) Drizzle with melted dark chocolate– Or alternatively cover the bottom of the cookie with melted chocolate and let set on a silpat, slip into the fridge or freezer to harden faster.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 78
- Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 13.4 mg
- Fat: 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.1 g
- Fiber: 0.9 g
- Protein: 1.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Chocolate hazelnut shortbread cookies, shortbread recipes, chocolate shortbread recipes,