This recipe for Chicken Caprese is easy to make with simple ingredients. Grill it or pan-sear it. It’s bursting with summertime flavor and can be made in 30 minutes! Perfect for alfresco dining or outdoor gatherings.
- 4–6 x 6-8-ounce Chicken Breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or more to coat
- 3/4– 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder ( or 2 garlic cloves, finely minced)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme ( or 1 teaspoon dried) or sub oregano
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella ball (or sub goat cheese), sliced into 1/3 -inch slices ( one slice per piece of chicken)
Fresh Tomato “Salad”
- 1 1/2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes ( 3 cups), cut in half
- 15 basil leaves, cut into ribbons
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat Grill to Med-high heat. (See notes for a stovetop version.)
- Pound chicken breasts into equal thickness, ¾ inch thick. Place in a big bowl, drizzle with olive oil to coat all sides, then sprinkle all sides with the salt, pepper and garlic powder, tossing to coat evenly. Toss in the lemon zest and thyme.
- Grill the chicken, place it on the hot grill, cover, and check for good grill marks after 5-6 minutes. ( While the chicken is grilling make the tomato salad.) Once you have good grill marks, turn the chicken over, cover, and grill another 5-6 minutes. Turn over again, lower heat and cook until breasts are 160F at the thickest part. Place a slice of mozzarella cheese on top of each piece, cover the grill and cook until the cheese is melty, about 4 minutes, watching carefully.
- Make the tomato salad, by placing all in a medium bowl and tossing well. To make the basil ribbons, stack them in the same direction, roll them up into a roll, then thinly slice.
- Once the cheese perfectly melty- the chicken is ready to serve- and best served soon! (Feel free to keep warm in a 300F oven.)
- Place the chicken on a platter, and spoon the tomato salad over the top.
- Optional: garnish with a drizzle of balsamic glaze and tiny drizzle of pesto.
Stovetop Version: Follow the recipe above up to the point of grilling. Heat an extra-large lightly greased skillet over medium-high heat. Pan sear the top side of chicken, partially covering, until beautifully golden, about 5 minutes, lowering the heat to medium if getting too dark. Once golden, turn over, and continue cooking over medium heat, for another 5-6 minutes, again lowering the heat to med-low, if getting too dark. Once the chicken is cooked through (160F at the thickest part) top with the mozzarella slices, cover the pan, and cook on medium-low heat until the cheese is melty, about 2-3 minutes. Continue with recipe, making the tomato relish while the chicken is cooking.
Feel free to marinate the chicken ahead and make the salad ahead.
Sometimes I’ll tuck the pesto, under the melting cheese, or over the cheese, under the tomatoes- up to you.
- Serving Size: 7 ounce chicken breast
- Calories: 413
- Sugar: 3.7 g
- Sodium: 855.8 mg
- Fat: 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 52.3 g
- Cholesterol: 167.2 mg
Keywords: Caprese chicken, chicken caprese, grilled chicken caprese