- 1 ½ cups cooked, cold lentils ( ¾ cup dry)
- 6–8 celery stocks, thinly sliced at a diagonol, save the leaves ( 4 cups sliced)
- 8 medjool dates, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced at a diagnol
- ½ cup toasted slivered ( or macrona) almonds
- ¼ cup shaved pecorino (or parmesan) cheese ( optional, but tasty)
To cook lentils, place 3/4 cup dry lentils in a medium pot filled with 3 cups of salted water. Bring to a boil, cover, simmer on low until tender, 20-25 minutes. ( Small lentils will cook faster, check after 15 minutes). Drain, cool.
Place salad ingredients in a serving bowl. Add dressing ingredients, tossing gently and well to combine.
Taste. Adjust salt, sweetness and spice level to your liking. Give the salad a little time for flavors to meld ( 10-15 minutes) and re-taste, adjusting.
If making ahead, be sure to taste again, right before serving- the lentils have a tendency to soak up the salt, so you may need to add more if serving the next day.
Keywords: celery salad, lentil salad, best celery salad recipe, celery date salad, celery salad recipes, vegan celery salad