How to Caramelize Onions- sweet, velvety, and full of amazing caramelly goodness. Bursting with umami, they will incredibly elevate your food. Easy to make with a little time and just three ingredients.
- Heat a 10″ cast iron or carbon steel pan on medium high.
- When pan is hot, add onions stirring a few times- cook this way, without oil, for 5 minutes.
- Add olive oil and salt. Stirring for a minute to fully incorporate. Turn heat down to medium-low.
- Stir every 5-10 minutes for 30 minutes.
- The onions should be a dark caramel color, smell amazing and be greatly reduced. Deglaze the pan by adding 1 tablespoon of water and scrape the pan to get the stuck crusty browned bits off the pan. This is known as fond and is bursting with flavor. Don’t skip this step!
How to slice the onion: Slice the ends off the onions. Stand onion on the cut side and slice in half. place the halved onion cut side down and slice into 1/8-1/4 inch slices, slicing with the grain.
Refrigerate: Store in refrigerator for 5 days in a sealed container.
Freeze: For easy access freeze in small portions. An ice cube tray works well for this.
Keywords: caramelized onions, how to caramelize onions