A refreshing Cantaloupe Salad with Mint, Lime and Pepitas and optional crumbled feta (optional) – a tasty healthy summer salad, perfect for potlucks and gatherings.
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely sliced
- a bowl of cold salted water ( 1 teaspoon salt per cup of water)
- 1 medium cantaloupe (3-3.25lb) rind and seeds removed.
- 1/2 a jalapeno chili, very finely diced ( 1–2 tablespoons)
- zest from 1 small lime
1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon honey (or vegan alternative like agave)
1 teaspoon ground coriander, or crushed, toasted wholes seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, or crushed, toasted wholes seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2–1 teaspoon aleppo chili flakes ( optional)
Place sliced onions in a bowl of generously salted, cold water. Set aside. ( To remove bitterness)
Cut cantaloupe in half, spoon out seeds, cut into large wedges, and remove rind with a paring knife. Slice each wedge into 1/2 inch thin slices. Then cut slices into 1-inch, bite-size, triangular pieces and place in a big wide flat serving dish ( or bowl). Add jalapeno, drain the onions and scatter over top, and add the lime zest.
Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Toss with the cantaloupe. Taste for acid and salt and honey. Every melon is different with various degrees of sweetness. If too sweet, add another squeeze of lime, if not sweet enough, perhaps more honey. Adjust to your taste.
Scatter the fresh herbs over top, add the pumpkin seeds and optional feta. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. This salad likes to be cold! Can be made several hours ahead.
Cutting the cantaloupe into thinner pieces rather than “chunks” seems to work better here.
Keywords: cantaloupe salad, cantaloupe salad feta, cantaloupe salad dressing, cantaloupe salad ideas, cantaloupe salad recipes, cantaloupe salad lime