Slow Braised Cabbage – slow cooked in the oven until meltingly tender, topped with Gremolata. Vegan and Gluten-free. Allow 1 ½ hours baking time.
- one large round cabbage- purple or red
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon fresh pepper
- pinch chili flakes
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 4–8 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 cup veggie or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup wine ( red for purple cabbage, white for green cabbage)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme ( or 1 tablespoon fresh) or sub Herbs de Provence or Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon vinegar – apple cider or sherry vinegar
Garnish: Gremolata – Zesty Italian Herb Sauce
Preheat oven to 350F
Cut cabbage in half, core, then cut into quarters, then eights-so you have 8 equal sized wedges.
Heat oil in an extra large, wide oven-proof skillet or (you’ll need a lid). Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper to the oil. Ad a pinch of chili flakes, and swirl over medium high heat. Sear the wedges of cabbage in batches, setting to the side on a plate, when lightly browned.
Turn heat to medium. Add the shallots and garlic to the empty pan and give a stir, and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the broth and wine and 1/4 teaspoon salt, bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits. Add bay leaves, & thyme.
Turn heat off and arrange cabbage, overlapping in a circle. Drizzle the cabbage with 1 tablespoon vinegar. Bring to a simmer, cover tightly and place in the oven for 1 ½ hours.
Mak the Gremolata, set aside.
Check cabbage with a fork, they should be meltingly tender.
Spoon Gremolata over top.
Keywords: Braised cabbage, melted cabbage, baked cabbage, roasted cabbage