- 2 1/2 cups (300 grams) ww pastry flour (use all purpose or 1/2 wheat 1/2 white)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup (100 to 150 grams) sugar (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon cardamom (optional or use 1 teaspoon cinnamon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup olive oil (or a more neutral oil if preferred)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk (plant based is fine if preferred)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups (220 grams) blueberries, fresh or frozen (do not thaw-*see notes)
Streusel Topping (optional- but makes them special!)
- 1/4 cup flour (use a gluten free blend if desired)
- 1/4 cup sugar, coarse or regular
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or butter
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cardamom
- Heat the oven to 375F degrees. Oil or line a 12 hole muffin tin with papers (oil the papers!)
- (Optional)Mix streusel: Mix together the streusel by mixing together the flour, sugar, salt and mash the butter in until in forms a coarse crumb. Pop it in the freezer while you make the muffin batter.
- Dry ingredients: Measure out flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom (if using), and salt. Stir together.
- Wet ingredients: In a separate bowl whisk together thoroughly olive oil, eggs, Greek yogurt, vanilla, milk, and lemon zest.
- Combine: Add the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix until mostly incorporated. Avoid over mixing! Add the blueberries, folding in just enough to distribute.
- Fill: Scoop batter into the muffin tin, a mechanical ice cream scoop works great for this. Fill up to the top. Press a few blueberries into the top of each muffin. Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of the streusel over the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until they bounce back when pressed in the center or around 200F degrees, internally, on a thermometer. Remove the muffins from the tin and let them cool on a rack.
Store at room temperate in a sealed container up to 3 days. To freshen up pop in oven at 350F for 5 minutes or air fry at 300F for 3 minutes.
Sugar– 1/2 cup (100 grams) gives a light sweetness which we prefer, but adding another 1/4 cup will give them a full sweet flavor.
Frozen blueberries– give a quick rinse if covered in ice crystals and pat dry as best you can with a paper towel. But do not thaw, add in frozen. The batter may tint blue slightly but the muffins will still be delicious.
Freeze- in a sealed container or bag up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin (without streusel topping)
- Calories: 261
- Sugar: 11.1 g
- Sodium: 125.6 mg
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 3.3 g
- Protein: 6.1 g
- Cholesterol: 31.8 mg
Keywords: blueberry muffins, crumble top blueberry muffins, streusel top blueberry muffins, lemon blueberry muffins