How to make Ethiopian Berbere Spice Blend with common spices you may already have in your pantry. Filled with complex bright spicy flavor. Easy to make in about 15 minutes!
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 4–6 whole dried red chilies or 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (more for extra spicy)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds (or powder)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds (or powder)
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds (cardamom powder)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (or powder)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns (or freshly ground black pepper)
- 4 whole cloves (or 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves)
- 5 whole allspice (or 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a dry skillet, toast whole spices 3-5 minutes over medium heat until fragrant, stirring all the while so as not to scorch.
- Add ground spices and toast 2 minutes more.
- If using whole spices, grind in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle until finely ground.
- Store in a sealed container.
Berbere will keep up to 6 months.
- Serving Size: 1 teaspoon
- Calories: 8
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Sodium: 99.4 mg
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.6 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 0.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: berbere recipe, how to make berbere, Berbere spice blend, Berbere spice recipe, homemade berbere