Beet Bruschetta with Goat Cheese and Basil and simple delicious appetizer that is full of amazing flavor!
- 3 medium sized beets ( tennis ball sized) halved
- 1 baguette, sliced at a diagonal into 1/2 inch thick slices
- Olive oil for brushing bruschetta
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic
- 10 basil leaves – cut into ribbons
- 1/8 C finely diced red onion or shallot
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a medium put, cover halved beets with water and boil until just tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- In the meantime, slice baguette into 1/2 inch slices at a diagonal. Brush both sides with olive oil, sprinkle with a little salt and place on a sheet pan in a 400 F oven for 15-20 minutes, or until very crisp. Set aside.
- Place cream cheese and goat cheese in a bowl and warm in a microwave until just soft enough to combine easily with a fork. ( I place the bowl in my toaster oven on low). Mix with a fork until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Feel free to add some fresh chopped herbs ( basil or parsley) Set aside.
- When beets are fork-tender, drain pot, refill with cold water and slip skins off the cooked beets under running cold water using your hands. Dice into very small 1/3 inch cubes and place in medium bowl.
- Add finely chopped onion, salt, pepper, sugar, olive oil and balsamic -stir to combine. Taste, adjusting. You want this be flavorful and juicy.
- Assemble: Spread a little goat cheese mixture on each bruschetta creating a “trough” ( to hold beet mixture in place) and top with a Tablespoon of beet mixture. Garnish with a few basil ribbons. It’s really nice to serve when the goat cheese is still a touch warm. Serve on a white platter to show it off, or a rustic cutting board.
You can make all components ahead. Store beet relish and cheese mixture in the fridge. Store bruschetta on the counter, uncovered, resisting the urge to snack. 🙂
Assemble right before guests arrive, warming the cheese mixture just slightly so it’s spreadable – either in microwave, or in oven. Or leave it out on the counter for a couple hours beforehand to warm to room temp.
- Calories: 157
Keywords: bruschetta recipes , beet bruschetta, beet appetizer, beet recipes, beet appetizer recipes, beet and goat cheese