Beet and Farro Salad | A simple fall-inspired recipe for Farro Salad with Beets and their tops! This healthy, vegan adaptable salad can be made ahead for midweek meals and can be served warm or chilled. #beetsalad #fallsalad #vegansalad #farrosalad #farro #beets
- 3 medium beets and their tops (or substitute 1 bunch lacinato kale for the beet greens)
- 2 cups cooked farro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot (or 1/4 of a red onion), diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup basil, cut into ribbons
- ¼–½ cup toasted nuts – hazelnuts ( crushed), pine nuts, walnuts.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup pecorino, grated or shaved ( optional, or use goat cheese)
- salt and pepper to taste
- sunflower sprouts (optional)
Slice the beet stems and greens off of the beets ( saving), then cut the beets in half and steam or roast the beets. Once tender, peel and dice the beets into 1/2-inch cubes and place in a medium bowl.
Add the cooked farro to the bowl.
Slice the beet greens and stems finely, then sauté in a skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil, shallot, and garlic. Cook over medium heat until wilted, about 3–4 minutes. Add this to the bowl of beets and farro, along with the basil, toasted nuts, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. Toss well. Add the pecorino, then season with salt and pepper.
Top with optional sunflower sprouts.
Salad will keep 3–4 days in the fridge ( without the sprouts)
Keywords: beet salad, beet salad recipes, beet salads, farro salad, beet and farro salad, farro recipes, fall salads, vegan beet salad