Baked Zucchini with Garlicky Parmesan Bread Crumbs- a simple easy vegetarian side dish that is baked in the oven. Kid-friendly and Gluten-free adaptable.
- 4–5 small zucchini ( or 3–4 medium-sized) sliced in half lengthwise (see notes)
- olive oil to coat
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes – optional, see notes
Parmesan Bread Crumb Topping:
- 1/2 cup panko or toasted bread crumbs ( or GF Panko)
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan or pecorino ( or an Italian blend is nice)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella ( or melty cheese)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves ( or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 2 fat garlic cloves finely minced ( use a garlic press) or grated
- zest of one lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1–2 tablespoon olive oil
425 F oven
Cut zucchini in half legnthwise, careful to cut down the middle to each side is the same size. Place in a medium bowl, drizzle with a little olive oil ( just enough to lightly coat), toss, season with salt and pepper.
Place on a parchement- lined sheet pan and bake until fork tender and golden, about 22-30 minutes depending on size.
While this is baking make the Garlic Parmesan Breadcrumb topping: In a medium bowl, add everything but the oil. Mix well, using your fingers making sure garlic is very evenly distributed. Add the oil last just enough to lightly coat and mix again with fingers. Set aside.
When zucchini is fork-tender, take out of the oven, increase heat to 475F.
Top with the Parmesan Bread Crumb topping using it all up.
Bake 5-8 minutes or until deeply golden, melty and fragrant.
Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs.
Smaller, 6-inch zucchini work best here! Try to cut the zucchini so both sides are a similar thickness. Try to pick zucchini that are roughly the same size. This will help ensure even cooking.
For color, you could add a cup of cherry tomatoes to the roasting pan along side zucchini and use as a garnish!
Keywords: Baked zucchini, baked zucchini with parmesan, baked zucchini with breadcrumbs