This Baked Gnocchi with Kale and Sausage is hearty and delicious. Vegetarian-adaptable and easy enough for weeknights. A cozy one-pan meal that comes together in about 30 minutes!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if you like a good spice like we do!)
- 1 tablespoon whole fennel seeds
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped small
- 28 ounce-can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste-see notes*)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 bunch kale, about 4 cups destemmed and chopped (saved stems are great to add to soup)
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage links, precooked (or use a plant-based sausage)
- 1 1/2 pounds gnocchi, uncooked (see notes) store bought or homemade
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4″slices (or swap out for burrata or ricotta)
- 3/4 cup pecorino romano or parmesan, grated
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a 12-inch oven-proof skillet or brasier over medium heat, sauté garlic with red pepper flakes and fennel seeds in olive oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, and oregano. Roughly break up the tomatoes with a spoon. Add kale and simmer on low for about 10 minutes until the kale is tender and the sauce thickens a little. Remove from heat.
- Add in sausage and gnocchi. Top with grated parmesan and mozzarella slices.
- Bake for 20 minutes uncovered until bubbling.
Feel free to swap out plant-based sausage for Italian Sausage.
If you are using raw Italian sausage links, make sure to slice and brown them first, cooking through, before adding.
The salt content is going to vary on the ingredients you use. Taste and add near the end if needed.
When using homemade gnocchi, if your gnocchi are really soft, boil for just 30 seconds. Drain and cool before adding in.
- Serving Size: Calculated without the sausage.
- Calories: 377
- Sugar: 4.6 g
- Sodium: 933.2 mg
- Fat: 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 63.5 g
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 19.4 g
- Cholesterol: 8.8 mg
Keywords: Baked Gnocchi, Gnocchi Bake, Italian baked gnocchi, Baked gnocchi with tomato sauce, Baked Gnocchi with kale and sausage