Healthy and delectable Baked Apples with Maple Syrup are filled with spiced toasty nuts, dates and dried cherries. Serve for dessert or brunch. No refined sugar, vegan and gluten-free!
- 6 medium sized apples
- 1 1/2 cup nuts pecans and walnuts, toasted
- 1 tsp freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup pitted dates (medjool are recommended)
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp roasted whole fennel seeds (lightly ground)
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger grated
- 2 tablespoons orange juice or water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- In the food processor pulse together pecans, walnuts, orange zest, dried cherries, dates, cinnamon, fennel seed, cardamom, nutmeg and ginger. It’ll just take about 6-8 pulses, you want the pieces to be coarsely chopped, keeping the texture.
- Add orange juice and maple syrup and pulse 2 -3 times just to incorporate.
- Core the apples. The easiest way to do this is with an apple corer. Alternatively, you can hollow them out with a knife, just enough to remove the entire core.
- Eyeball the mixture dividing it in 6 clumps. Squish and roll together and push into the cored apples.
- Place stuffed apples in an oiled pan (coconut oil is nice here).
- Place in oven, covered with foil. 350 for 45-70 minutes. The baking time greatly depends on the type of apple you use.
Toast nuts in a preheated oven at 350 F for 8-10 minutes.
Good baking apples work good here such as: Honey crisp, Gala, Johnathan, Braeburn, Fuji, Pink lady, Granny Smith
- Serving Size: 1 apple
- Calories: 330
- Sugar: 29.4 g
- Sodium: 4.2 mg
- Fat: 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.9 g
- Fiber: 8.1 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Baked Apples, Baked Apples recipe, the best baked apples, baked apple dessert