Asparagus Tart with tarragon, chives and gruyere in a flakey puff pastry crust- a simple elegant dish perfect for a special occasion. Under 30 minutes hands-on time!
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 8 oz spreadable cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped fine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh French tarragon
- 2 1/2 oz gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (about one medium lemons worth)
- 1 teaspoon dijon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus – pencil-sized
- 1 egg – for egg wash (see notes)
Thaw puff pastry overnight or according to directions on the package.
Set oven to 400 degrees.
- On a piece of parchment, roll puff pastry out to 1/4 inch thickness approximately 11 x 13 or 12 x 12. Transfer parchment with pastry to a standard baking pan. Prick the dough with a fork.
- Faster crust option 1; Score the crust by slicing 1/2 way through about 1 inch from the edge. This will allow the “crust” to rise. Brush the top with the egg wash, for golden color. Bake crust at 400 degrees for 18 minutes (or until it looks puffed and starting to brown). Cool. Flakier Crust option 2; With a sharp knife carefully trim off 1-inch strips from each side of the rolled out pastry and set aside leaving them uncooked. Bake crust for 15 minutes (or until it looks puffed and starting to brown) at 400 degrees. Let cool. Generously brush egg wash on 1 inch of the edge of the baked pastry. Lay trimmed set aside edge strips on the edge of cooked pastry. (The egg wash acts as glue). Brush the top with the egg wash for the beautiful golden color.
- Make Filling: In a bowl mix together cream cheese, dijon, lemon zest, chives, tarragon, salt, and pepper. Spread evenly over the cooled pastry crust with a metal spatula. Sprinkle gruyere over cream cheese mixture.
- Cut asparagus spears to fit on your tart, toss with a little olive oil and arrange on top of tart.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
Optional garnishes: chive blossoms, fresh tarragon, lemon zest
This works best with small or medium sized asparagus. ( Though you can always slice the larger stalks in half lengthwise.)
To make an egg wash; mix an egg yolk with 1-2 tablespoons of water.
Keywords: asparagus tart, asparagus tart puff pastry, asparagus tart with gruyere, asparagus tart with puff pastry, easy asparagus tart