A delicious and succulent recipe for Vietnamese Oxtail Bahn Mi Sandwiches with pickled veggies and Spicy aioli.
Vietnamese Braised Oxtail:
5 to 6 pounds oxtails, fat trimmed
Salt and black pepper
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 C beef stock
1/2 C Rice wine or Red Wine or Dry Sherry
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 T brown sugar
2 star anise, broken into pieces
2 whole cloves
1 Onion – chopped big
3 inches -sliced fresh ginger
6 whole garlic cloves, peeled
Garnish: fresh cilantro, jalapeño, cucumber, hot sauce.
- Pre heat oven to 300 F. Trim fat off the oxtails. Generously salt and pepper all sides and patiently brown all sides in large dutch oven in canola oil. Set aside browned oxtail. Pour out the oil and fat. In the same dutch oven, sauté onion, whole garlic and ginger slices about 6-8 minutes till browned. Add Rice wine, scraping up all the brown bits. Bring to a boil. Add beef stock, sugar, soy sauce, cloves and star anise. Place oxtail back in the liquid, marrow pointing up. Liquid should come to 3/4 the height of the oxtail. Cover and bring to a boil. Place into the 300 degree oven. Cook 1 1/2 hours, turn oxtails over and cook another 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove oxtails, strain braising liquid and place the strained liquid in a container for about an hour in the freezer. Fat with rise to the top and harden. This will allow you to remove the fat (you could skip this step). Remove bones from the oxtail meat and place meat in a skillet with the de-fatted braising liquid, and heat on the stove. Taste for salt. Meat will be sticky and succulent, almost caramelized.
- Make Pickled Carrots and Daikon – Mix all ingredients together in small pot. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and chill 30 min
- Make Spicy Mayo: whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Spread baguette with spicy mayo, place oxtail on the bottom, then cucumbers, pickled veggies, cilantro, scallions and fresh jalapeño (optional). Enjoy!