Meet the Mashed Potatoes of my dreams! Creamy, rich ( but not overly) and oh so flavorful these Mashed Potatoes are studded with Roasted Garlic with the subtlest little kick of Horseradish. The best part? It can be made vegan and can be made on the stovetop in under 30 minutes!
It’s a simple recipe yet full of amazing flavor – the roasted garlic and zippy horseradish pair really well with rich meaty dishes, cutting through the fat. Add as little or as much horseradish as you want, depending on your taste for it. Or leave it out entirely!
I love the addition of sour cream here- it adds a tanginess that works really well.
Feel free to use granulated garlic or whole roasted garlic cloves! Either way you’ll love the flavor!
What potatoes to use in Mashed Potatoes
In this recipe, we prefer to use thinned skinned potatoes ( baby reds, Yukon, yellow, white, red) and we leave the potato skins on. The potato skins are full of nutrients! Feel free to use russets, peeling them first.
How to make the BEST Mashed Potatoes
Cut potatoes in half or in quarters. Make sure they are roughly equal size pieces.
Cover potatoes with salted water and simmer covered, until knife tender, about 20 minutes.
Drain, saving 1 cup of HOT Potato water.
I find these are just rich enough. Adding just a little bit of fat whether it’s plant-based, or animal-based makes them the most enjoyable. And when being paired with something rich, like pot roast, you can get away with keeping them somewhat light.
Add a little hot potato water to loosen the potatoes- especially important if keeping these warm for later.
Garnish the Mashed Potatoes with Chives, Pepper and a drizzle of melted butter.
Top with whole roasted garlic cloves if you like.
Creamy, Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic and Horseradish- comes together easily and quickly.
More recipes you may enjoy!
- Our BEST Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Crispy Herby Smashed Potatoes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Ginger
- Mashed Cauliflower with Roasted Garlic
Mashed Potatoes with Garlic – a lightened up, healthy version of mashed potatoes that is creamy, delicious and full of flavor! Vegan adaptable! (Original recipe: 11/2014, updated 11/2021)
- 3 lbs potatoes (thin-skinned – white, red or Yukon, scrubbed, skins on)
- ½–3/4 cup sour cream, more to taste (or use vegan substitute – Kite Hill’s Sour Cream is a good option.)
- 4 tablespoons butter (or vegan butter)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2–3 teaspoons granulated garlic (or use 10–20 whole roasted garlic cloves, mashed )
- 1–3 teaspoons prepared horseradish, or fresh grated to taste (optional)
- Garnish with chives, pepper (and more melted butter if you like)
- Cut potatoes in half (if bigger, quarter) and cover with an inch of water, in a large pot.
- Add 2 teaspoons salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on medium-low heat, about 20 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Drain, saving 1 cup of potato water.
- Place potatoes back in the pot (or slow cooker), mash well, then using the masher, whisk in the butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, garlic option of choice, and optional horseradish.
- Add a little potato water to loosen, starting with 1/2 cup, adding more as needed. ( If keeping these warm for an extended period of time, add the full cup of water).
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper to your liking.
- Cover and keep warm in a 180F oven.
- When ready to serve, stir, sprinkle with pepper, chives and a drizzle of melted butter before serving.
Keywords: mashed potatoes, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, horseradish mashed potatoes, healthy mashed potatoes,vegan mashed potatoes