deliver fresh eggs from her chickens.
unexpectedly arrived at our door via Brian’s sister Shelley.
and a cozy pair of leg warmers not only warm my legs, but my heart.
When I was growing up, there was this magnet on our fridge,
that lived in the same spot for probably 30 years.
My mom put it there after a trip to Finland.
It is Finnish saying…
I cannot tell you how many times I have looked at this without actually seeing it.
A few years ago when I was helping my mom move here
I finally asked her what it meant.
She translated it to:
Sometimes lessons are born of suffering.
These always gets our attention, don’t they?
Learn this now… or you will suffer more.
- 1½ Cups sugar
- ⅔ Cups canola or olive oil
- 1 can full fat coconut milk ( 13.5-14 oz)
- ½ Cup meyer lemon juice ( 3 -4 lemons) or use regular lemons
- 3 Tablespoon meyer lemon zest, dont skimp
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 Cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ Cups shredded coconut (for extra nuttiness, lightly toast!)
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 C powdered sugar
- Preheat oven 350F
- In a large bowl mix ( or stand mixer) whisk sugar, oil, coconut milk, lemon juice, zest, and vanilla. Sift in flour, baking powder and baking soda mixing in batches. Mix well after each addition. Add shredding coconut. Stir.
- Grease and flour a bunt pan well, and pour mixture in. (You could also make these into cupcakes, filling ⅔- 3/4 full and baking for 20-25 mins ). For Bunt, bake 1 hour. Cupcakes will bake faster....in either case check by inserting a skewer, if it comes out clean, it's done.
- Let it cool completely before inverting.
- Invert budnt pan gently onto a cake plate. Or easier still, place plate over the bunt cake then invert both. Sprinkle with powder sugar or drizzle the top with icing.
- To make icing, simply mix ingredients together, let stand 10 minutes, drizzle over cake.
- Top with toasted coconut if you like. Enjoy your creation!
- This recipe was originally from Epicurean Vegan with some slight changes.