This shaved fennel salads has easily become one of my favorites. Crunchy and bright with cucumber, Meyer lemon and lots of fresh dill, it is refreshing and light. If you haven’t tried fennel bulb in its raw state, this is the perfect introduction. It has a mild anise flavor and it’s lovely in salads because of its texture and crunch. It really loves being paired with dill.
Here is a basic recipe, which is completely adaptable. Sometimes I’ll add radishes or daikon, so play around with it and make it your own. I prefer using meyer lemon juice, but white balsamic, rice wine vinegar or red wine vinegar work well too.
I love this served with simple mustard glazed salmon and new potatoes.
Hope you enjoy!
Thanks for reading! For more Feasting at Home …
and subscribe to receive new posts via email.
Shaved Fennel Salad with Cucumber and Dill
A deliciously crunchy fennel salad with dill, cucumber and meyer lemon
Author: Sylvia Fountaine | Feasting at Home Blog
Recipe type: Salad
- 2 large fennel bulbs- trimmed and cored
- 3 small persian cucumbers
- ½ cup fresh chopped dill
- ¼ cup white onion, thinly sliced ( optional)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- scant ¼ cup Meyer lemon ( or red wine vinegar)
- kosher salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Cut fennel bulbs in half and remove their hard core.
- Using a mandolin, shave fennel and place in bowl.( Or finely slice as thin as possible).
- Finely slice cucumber with the mandolin and chop the dill. Slice the onion.
- Place all in the bowl
- Add olive oil, meyer lemon, salt and cracked pepper.
- Let marinate in the fridge for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serves 4