This simple tasty recipe for Roasted Moroccan Carrots is out of a new cookbook from America’s Test Kitchen: The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook. Serve this as a delicious side dish to chicken or fish, or create a simple vegetarian dinner, serving it over Seasoned Lentils with a drizzle of plain yogurt – either way you will love the flavor, I promise. The carrots are caramelized in a very hot oven then tossed in an orange-cumin-cinnamon dressing. Tangy, sweet and spicy they make me sooooo happy friends. Very very happy. Tis’ the little things, isn’t it?
The recipes in this cookbook are fresh and modern, and utilize fun flavorful ingredients, paired in interesting ways – think nutty tahini with earthy mushrooms,preserved lemons with savory lamb sausage, and tangy pomegranate molasses with fresh halloumi cheese.
One of my favorite things about this book is the number of plant-based recipes that are included. The larger chapters are devoted to vegetables, legumes, and grains. Fish and Seafood are in a moderate chapter while poultry and meat are combined into a single, smaller sized chapter. Kind of how we like to eat around here. There are also little red tags above each recipe that indicate if its “fast” to make, which is nice.
To serve over lentils, scroll down to the notes in the recipe for a simple lentil recipe.
Roasted Moroccan Carrots
A simple recipe for Roasted Moroccan Carrots- served as a side dish or over lentils for a Moroccan inspired vegetarian Bowl. From America's Test Kitchen- Complete Mediterranean Cookbook.
Author: Sylvia Fountaine | Feasting at Home Blog
Recipe type: Side
Serves: 3- 4
- 1 ½ lbs whole carrots, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- ½ teaspoons Aleppo chili pepper ( or chili flakes)
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro ( or Italian parsley)
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Peel the carrots, then cut into 3-4 inch pieces. Cut in half length wise, and quarter the thicker pieces so all are relatively the same thickness ( no bigger than ½ inch thick).
- In a small bowl mix oil, sugar, salt and pepper. The brown sugar will help the carrots caramelize. Toss this with the carrots and spread out in a single layer on a foil lined sheet pan. Cover with foil and place in the hot oven for 12 minutes. Uncover and continue roasting 16-22 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- Whisk the orange juice, aleppo chili pepper, cumin and cinnamon.
- Toss with dressing with the roasted carrots and garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley.
- Notes: To serve over Simple Seasoned Lentils - Cook 1 cup lentils with 3 cups water, 1 teaspoon granulated garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon coriander (or cumin). Bring to a boil. Cover, simmer on low until tender, 25-35 minutes ( depending on lentil size). When tender, uncover, if need be, reduce liquid by turing heat up, then drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon. Serve carrots over a bed of lentils, drizzle with plain yogurt and fresh herbs.